Monday, 14 November, 1864

A very seasonable pretty morning. Killed a fine young beef weighing 75 and 80 lbs. to the quarter. Sent a piece to Mr. Warters, a piece to Mrs. Larkin Garrett and to Mrs. Lipscomb, and a piece to Ju.1 – – Entered my cloth through a harness. – – Bill and I cut out the beef this evening. – – Bake took a ride on Shakespeare to look for grapes. – – Took Tom and Martha with her. Rose went too. Poor little Nan is confined with toothache and suffering more than any little thing I ever saw. – – Patsy attended to the fifth quarter of beef.2 Martha bakes loaf bread in the chamber and we took supper up there on the same little table we commenced housekeeping with.

1. We have no way of knowing whether the Warters with the beef is the miller (Fleming) or the member of the Home Guard (William S.)   (back)
  2. Fifth quarter? Perhaps some reader can explain this to me.  (back)

7 comments on “Monday, 14 November, 1864

1. Terry says:

5th quarter is the hide, hoof, head, and horns. They say this is the most valued quarter.

2. Bibb says:

Terry, Thank you for sharing your insight with us. 5th quarter is a wonderful metaphor.

3. Terry says:

You are welcome! I really enjoy reading the diary every day. I an a living history buff, agriculture and foodways are my fields.

4. Bibb says:

Please continue to comment and add your knowledge. You should have many opportunities over the next three years. I am still puzzled over “molasses of watermelons” from 19 August. In fact, the use of the word molasses in several coming contexts surprises me. And Caroline will record a wedding cake recipe for us. Guess which of her children will be married next.

5. Ginnie Creek says:

Thank you for posting Caroline’s Journal.
    Here’s a little more about the “fifth quarter” from Wikipedia RE:Quinto quarto
    In the cuisine of modern Rome quinto quarto (literally the “fifth quarter”) is the offal of butchered animals. The name makes sense on more than one level: because offal amounts to about a fourth of the weight of the carcass; because the importance of offal in Roman cooking is at least as great as any of the outer quarters, fore and hind; and because in the past slaughterhouse workers were partly paid in kind with a share of the offal.

Until modern time the division of the cattle in Rome was made following this simple scheme: the first “quarto” was dedicated to be sold to the Nobles, the second one was for the clergy, the third one for the Bourgeoisie and eventually the fourth “quarto” was for the soldiers. The proletariat could afford only the entrails.

Offal cuisine is particularly rich in Rome in spring, when not only beef and pork but also suckling lamb and kid offal appears on trattorie menus. Typical dishes include:

pajata (suckling kid, lamb or veal intestines)
    coratella (heart, lung and oesophagus of lamb or kid, sautéed with artichoke)
    testarelle (whole roasted lamb’s or kid’s head)

• Rebecca Townsend says:

Bibb,
      They had certainly more work than we have on the farm these days. However I do enjoy a good scrapple and scrambled egg breakfast every once in a while.
      Are we doing a cookbook with all that talk about food? “Caroline’s Kitchen (or Cooking)” might be a good name….
      Who looks for grapes in November? Maybe they were looking for raisins??? I do have some recipes for different wines; blackberry, grape, elderberry, apple jack. (King William variety) as well as some breads…using lard the size of a walnut????? Good luck on that.
      Also, We have a recipe for fruitcake….that came down from your Edwards folks, and has been “changed to fit the more sophisticated larders”.
      However, my most favoritest recipe is the “Fishhawl Punch” that Margaret Dickinson McCluney Bertram shared with me many moons ago. (Hint: Don’t drink and drive….unless Shakespeare is providing the transportation.
      Keep up the good work.

6. Bibb says:

Via email we had a response by Tina concerning “molasses of watermelon.” Now that I am back home from King William I will update the 19th August post to reflect her suggestions. And I am very interested to learn more about that “Fishhawl Punch.” No so sure about the fruitcake.